Sometimes somebody tells you something and you don’t know whether to believe them or not – whether it’s an old wives’ tale or true.
Here are some things you might have heard about your back or bones that we are going to agree with or debunk!
- You can throw your back out when you sneeze – TRUE – Sneezes are quite forceful on the body and can cause injury. If you feel pain after a sneeze, don’t ignore it.
- Yoga is always good for the back – FALSE – while yoga can help with flexibility and mobility, there are certain yoga positions that can put a lot of strain on the back.
- You can hurt yourself stretching – TRUE – If you aren’t stretching your muscles in the correct way or you are forcing yourself into a stretch, you can sprain a muscle or strain a joint.
- Exercise can hurt your back – FALSE – The correct exercise can help strengthen your back muscles and your core which supports your back. However, you can hurt your back if you do not do the exercises properly.
- Bed rest is best for a hurt back – FALSE – Actually specific gentle exercises are better for a hurt back than bed rest.
If you are in any doubt of something you have heard or you want more information about something to do with bone health, give us a call.